[TriLUG] AMD vs. Intel

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jul 31 14:20:50 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 08:01 -0700, Christopher Blackmon wrote:
> When running windows on my laptop.. if it becomes
> slow/unresponsive due to anti-virus software running..
> it's not the processor... it's the hard-drive that's
> being the bottleneck.  Due to the heat, laptop drives
> still run rather slowly compared to desktop drives.

+1

I do a fair bit of IO-intensive work and am really thrilled with the
Hitachi 100GB 7200rpm laptop drives.  The advantage over the slower 5400
or 4200rpm drives is significant [_very_ noticeable!] no matter what OS
you use.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464