[TriLUG] K3b showing blank DVD+R as having only 308.2 MB????

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:20:28 EDT 2006

I'm trying to copy a DVD-ROM to a DVD+R.

K3B complains that there isn't enough space on the DVD+R.  If I get
the disk info for the source DVD it says:

   Type: DVD-ROM
   Size: 334:30:14 min   2.9 GB
   Size remaining 00:00:00 0 B
   Rewritable: No
   Appendable: No
   Empty: No
   Layers: 1
   Sessions: 1

So this should easily fit on a single-layer 4.7 GB DVD+R, but when I
ask K3B what it thinks about the destination disk I get:

   Type: DVD-ROM
   Size: 35:03:64 min   308.2 MB
   Size remaining 35:03:64 min   308.2 MB
   Rewritable: No
   Appendable: No
   Empty: Yes
   Layers: 1
   Sessions: 0

Any ideas on why it's seeing the destination disk as being so small?
It's a TDK 4X DVD+R physically marked as having 4.7 GB 120 minutes?
Just for grins I tried a couple of disks from the spindle and they all
look the same to K3B

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator