[TriLUG] TCO - Linux, UNIX, and MS

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 20:20:51 EDT 2006

On 8/1/06, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are a mixed environment and find benefit from running Microsoft AD
> for single sign-on, Exchange and for some 3rd party software packages
> which require Microsoft AD for user/group sync and MSSQL for their
> database.  However, we also leverage Linux for web services, SMB PDF,
> systems monitoring and a variety of other small tools.  I find a mixed
> environment gives you the best of all worlds.  It all depends on what
> your needs are vs. what you are willing to sacrifice.

Of course, depending on the size/staffing of the environment, "mixed
environment" might also spell the worst of all worlds.

If you are a Unix shop today, Linux makes a huge amount of sense in
reducing TCO in that you are already staffed/trained to handle the
introduction of this new OS (for the most part).  If you are an MS
shop today, you need to selectively pick-and-choose the pieces that
make sense to move to Linux as well as what your staff can support.  I
know a lot of Linux wonks that can also do Windows, but not many
Windows wonks that can also do Linux.  The few that I've run into are
generally good at just about everything.

Not to say that most Windows administrators are talentless "trained
monkeys" with the inability to conceptualize their work and apply
those concepts to similar tasks in a different OS environment, but
they are.

Shane O.
========
Shane O'Donnell