[TriLUG] TCO - Linux, UNIX, and MS

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 11:08:00 EDT 2006

> Not to say that most Windows administrators are talentless "trained
> monkeys" with the inability to conceptualize their work and apply
> those concepts to similar tasks in a different OS environment, but
> they are.
>
> Shane O.
> ========
> Shane O'Donnell
> shaneodonnell at gmail.com
> ====================

I don't know.   Personally I think it has to do, at least a little, with the
sterile, bland appeal of Windows in general.  I can't think of anything more
boring then running a MS server on Dell hardware.  All the personality and
flair, not to mention fun, of a cast iron skillet.

Is something wrong?  Did something happen?  By God man, don't think for
yourself!  Call Microsoft and Dell post-haste and pay them even more money
to diagnose the problem.  Oh yeah, that is all kinds of fun.  That kind of
enviornment doesn't make for much other then what Shane has described.

Even if you figured out some new way of doing something on a Windows server
that increases adoption of the platform to an even greater monopoly what
have you done?  Made the richest man in the world a little bit more rich?

Boring.  But a job is a job and I think I understand better then most that
sometimes you get to do what you love at work and other times you get to do
what makes a living.