[TriLUG] **Free ** - Pentium 75Mhz

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Aug 2 14:56:52 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Jason wrote:

> I used to run my server on a Pent 75 box.
> It wasnt running any X on it, ran just fine for serving up static webpages.
> I believe i was running freebsd 4.11 or so at the time. But im sure any flavor
> of linux w/o X running  will be fine.

I ran X on my 33MHz linux box. It worked great. I remember
downloading a weather map at 2400baud and being ecstatic
that I could do so. The really neat part was that it only
took 20mins to download and I watched it load pixel by
pixel. Even better, if I wanted to download files, I'd save
all my requests for sunday evening and would run them
overnight. It was just amazing - I would have megabytes of
files waiting for me when I woke up next morning.

Joe