[TriLUG] Vacation message bounces

Lee Fickenscher elfick at mac.com
Thu Aug 3 13:50:07 EDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Douglas Ward wrote:
<snip>
> testing purposes.  It looks like neither plugin is formatting the
> files
> properly.  They do not appear to be creating the .vacation.db file
> either.
> Since I do not use cpanel, courier or qmail I am left with these two
> options.  I abandoned both plugins and tried creating all of the files
> manually.  Postfix is still bouncing the messages.  I am stumped.
> I had
> hoped to manually create the files and then work backwards from
> there but
> nothing works.  I did not find much in Google that was helpful.  I
> would
> sincerely appreciate any advice.

The only difference I see from my working setup is that
your .vacation.db has 644 perms while mine has 600. Not sure why that
would make a difference though. What I would suggest would be to
delete .vacation.db and .forward. Then run "vacation -i" to
initialize the vacation db. After that recreate the .forward file with:

\douglas, "|/usr/bin/vacation douglas"

I'm not sure if the comma is needed for separation or if whitespace
is enough, but mine has commas. That being said, mine is running on
OBSD, but the example in my man page has a comma separating arguments.

-Lee