[TriLUG] FSTAB and mouting

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Aug 7 22:34:18 EDT 2006

Roy Vestal wrote:

> I want to mount /dev/hdc to /data1 with a group, music with rwx perms.
> It's an ext3. I can't for the life of me find it in the stupid man pages.
>
> Any suggestions?

I think you're trying to apply something you can do with a VFAT
partition, to an ext3 partition.  If you check out the mount(8) man
page, you'll see the uid= and gid= options under the fat filesystem
section.  This sets the group which owns all files on the filesystem.
Since there aren't file-specific ownership and group attributes, the
filesystem driver uses a single user, as defined at mount time, via args
passed to mount.  Because there are specific ownership and group
attributes for each individual inode in the ext3 filesystem, there's not
a natural way to "override" that with the mount command.  If you want a
permanent way to change all files under /data1 after you mount it, you
might consider something like this:
find /data1 -type f -exec chmod g+rwx \{\} \;
find /data1 -type f -exec chgrp $group \{\} \;

Add "-type f" if you want to apply those rules only to the files (you
probably don't, but it seemed worth mentioning).

Aaron S. Joyner