[TriLUG] Excellent meeting, and a question

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Thu Aug 10 22:03:59 EDT 2006

Many Kudos to our esteemed presenters Jason and Ian for an excellent
presentation on a really exciting project.

(Can you tell I use Nagios every day?)

A member of the peanut gallery (Thank you David) mentioned an off the
cuff idea of using Asterisk and Festival to have the system call your
voice # with alerts.

At first I thought this idea just so much silliness, but in talking it
over with people, it occurred to me that this, with a prompt to dial 7
(or whatever your favorite number is) to acknowledge the problem would
be excellent.

My knowledge of Asterisk not being what it perhaps should be, I just
wanted to know if this is remotely possible?  Is it, perhaps, easily
done?  The only thing that Asterisk would have to do is echo a line into
a file so that Nagios can pick it up and act on the acknowledgment.

Thanks to the presenters, and thanks to any Asterisk people for their
advice.

CJK