[TriLUG] wanted: firefox plugin/extension

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 15:05:44 EDT 2006

I exchanged a few emails with a friend who likes the functionality of
a firefox extension that is buggy and no longer maintained:

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en

Before I go on, I'll confess that, yes, this is not particularly
on-topic for this list. My friend does not (so far) use Linux on the
desktop. That said, I like to think of Firefox and other
cross-platform apps as "gateway apps" that lead people to eventually
try Linux. Also, seeing helpful community support pulls people in, too
:) Beyond that, I saw what the extension did and thought it was pretty
cool.

He's hoping there's a new one somewhere or that there's somebody
around here willing to take up the cause. I'm not that guy, but I
thought I'd ping the list to see if anybody out there is or knows of
somebody who might like to be.

His original email:

>Here's the question you said I hadn't asked you yet.  I use "Tabbrowser
>Extensions" which can be found here:
>http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en
>
>I love it, except that it is slow.  I really like the tree mode.  I
haven't found
>anything like it.  $GF likes it too.  Any idea how hard this would be
to re-create.
>The source is available, but my one programming class won't allow me
to edit it.
>Any thoughts on who might want to take a crack at fixing the
slowness/pulling the
>useful stuff out of the extension and leaving the rest behind?
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

My response pointed to the forum thread mentioned in the link he
gives, as well as follow-up threads like:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1170852

(on which his is the last post, the most recent post before that being
from 2005)

He replied:

>I searched for groups of tabs and colors and all sorts of stuff and
haven't found a
>replacement.  I searched for at least half an hour yesterday with no
success.  I
>posted to the forum and we'll see, but I don't think anything has
been written.  Do
>you know anyone that's done extension development before?

So... do YOU know of anybody who wants to implement what he's talking about?