[TriLUG] mencoder fun

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 00:29:04 EDT 2006

I just finished watching Motorcycle Diaries. My mom is from Peru, and
the movie hit me pretty hard. I got to the end and lost it when the
music started playing, at which point I was inspired to pull the audio
from the end credits and share it with mommy dearest.

Thank you, mplayer.

This post got me on the right track:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2006-May/003223.html

And finally this line got me what I wanted:

cmpalmer at hume:~$ mplayer dvd:// -aid 128 -ss 7040 -vo null -ao
pcm:file="motorcycle.wav"

I little oggenc fun and I had something to share.

Backing up, let's parse that mplayer line:

dvd:// worked for me, but the movie might be on a different track for
you. Use the line from the mencoder-users list above to find the right
dvd://# track.

"-aid 128" means pull the audio from track 128, the default audio
track.  Again, check the tracks.

"-ss 7040" was the weird part, because I _actually_ wanted to seek to
7080 seconds into the movie, but when I gave it "-ss 7080" it started
recording 20 seconds after that point. If anybody can clue me in as to
why that might be, that'd be great.

"-vo null" no video, kinda obvious.

"-ao ..." also kinda obvious.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not encouraging anybody to rip off songs and share
them with the world. MPAA, RIAA, etc: you listening? I'm just sharing
with my mommy.
--
Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences