[TriLUG] Ubuntu Dapper-Drake: Serial Console Install?

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:03:27 EDT 2006

Rick,

It's not an issue any longer since I ran into a bigger issue with
Ubuntu 6.06; at least from my perspective. I've abandoned running
Ubuntu on my server and I'm just going to continue running Sarge until
Etch become the stable release from Debian. Hopefully Etch will not
suffer from the same udev problem that Dapper Drake has when there is
an extra IDE controller on the PCI bus.

-Brian

On 8/29/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Brian Weaver <cmdrclueless at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know if it's possible to install Ubuntu 6.06 "server" using a
> > serial console session? I'm pretty sure I did this with Debian last
> > time, but I haven't yet tried it with Ubuntu. I was going to install
> > Ubuntu on a system that is headless and I'm really to lazy attach one
> > if I don't need to.
> >
> > Has the serial port become so out dated? I ask this because I had to
> > build myself a special respin of a rescue cd
> > (http://www.sysresccd.org/) just to get serial support for my headless
> > server.
>
> I haven't tried this myself, but I remember looking at a script called
> debtakeover which could probably be modifed to install ubuntu instead
> of deb stable or one of the debian releases.
>
> Is the serial port the only connection to this machine?  You're going
> to need some way to get the packages.  If you've got tcp why not use
> ssh or shudder telnet to get into it?  If not, what kind of server are
> you building?
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby