[TriLUG] IRC lack-of-fun

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 21:00:16 EDT 2006

Some of us in #trilug on freenode are getting concerned about the
stability of that network, so we decided recently to start a #trilug
on irc.oftc.net. That experiment is ongoing, so feel free to join us
there.

All is not perfect; we're discovering that oftc is not immune to
netsplits either, though it is, IMHO, somewhat more stable than
freenode. Before anyone jumps in to defend the current network, I'm
aware that they are rewriting significant parts of their ircd,
hyperion.

I'm writing for two reasons. The first is simply to inform people that
there is this other channel, but the second, more important reason is
to solicit feedback.

Should we (the steering committee, the sys-ad subcommittee) run an
ircd on the login server (or another server in the same colo) that is
just for #trilug? Should we move to oftc? Should we do something
completely different (eg. jabber) and encourage everyone to move from
#trilug on freenode to that?

Please do think about what you'd like to see. The current #trilug on
freenode is a free service, and anything that replaces it will need to
be something that a small group of volunteers can manage easily. The
obvious least-effort choice is oftc, but if the LUG wants something
else/more/better, now is the time to speak up.

Bile and venom should be directed either to me directly or steering@,
not the list.

Thanks,

--
Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences