[TriLUG] Samba and Active Directory

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Fri Sep 1 12:50:51 EDT 2006

<44F84C11.2040403 at intrex.net>,
mattnash at intrex.net wrote:
> In my smb.conf I have 2 lines that you don't:
> client use spnego = yes
> client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>
> I used this page to configure winbind and krb5:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto
>
> I know you don't have ubuntu, but the instructions are general enough

> that it should work.

Thank you!!! I added the two lines above and made a couple more changes
as suggested in the link above (removed the winbind separator line and
auth methods line and changed the valid users line in the share)  and
I'm attaching to the share without a password.

Now the problem is with perms. If I set the directory 777 no problem
writing to the share, or if I make the owner TTA\ituser no problem
writing. However if I set the group to the TTA\sambausers group (which
ituser is a member of and perms are 775) I cannot write to the
directory. Any idea what needs to change or how to get the directory
writable by an AD group?

Thanks again for helping me get this far.
Brian