[TriLUG] OpenWRT +1

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:04:20 EDT 2006

So I finally got a round tuit, and re-flashed my "classic" Linksys
WRT-54G with OpenWRT.

I scratched my head for a day before I got WPA to work, I found that I
needed to install a package called NAS, I've actually been using the
little box as an access point rather than a  router, and it took me a
while to figure out how to set up routing so that it looked for path
to the internet on the lan gateway rather than its wan port.

Now that it's working, throughput seems to be much better.  I don't
know whether it's more efficient firmware, or a slight increase in
radio power, but it's subjectively quite a bit faster.

I still need to figure out how to make my routing changes survive a
reboot, it doesn't seem to be necessary for normal operation, but if I
want to download new packages...

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby