[TriLUG] buying songs online

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 5 12:50:27 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 10:30 -0400, Josh Vickery wrote:
> If you want something like wallmart music without the DRM there is
> always http://allofmp3.com.  I believe the RIAA says it is illegal in
> the US, and I've certainly heard people say that it is run by a
> Russian organized crime syndicate, but the prices are tough to beat
> and you can download in your choice of format including Vorbis and
> FLAC.

It's pretty much illegal, and everyone knows it, but most everyone is
also denying it.  Even if it isn't, it will be soon enough.  However, I
don't think any consumers have been sued by the RIAA for using AllofMP3,
yet at least, and you probably can get away with it until the first
person gets sued.  Then that person will claim it's too ambiguous, it'll
be deemed illegal, and then it'll be way unsafe to use.

All that aside, it's known for being pretty reliable.  Wasn't there a
paypal payment too?

If you decide to use it, I suggest using it with a credit card that's
only associated with online purchases, and has an *extremely* low credit
limit, so you're putting yourself at least risk.