[TriLUG] remote hardware management

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 20:55:54 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 20:34, Jason Tower wrote:
> i'm reaching the point where i have a significant number of servers at my
> colo facility.  it has become evident that i could use two things:
>
> 1. a way to access multiple hosts via serial, that way i can communicate
> with them even when networking fails, or i iptables myself out by mistake,
> or sshd dies, etc.  something that takes up only 1u of space, can provide
> serial access to ~16 machines, and accepts ssh connections.  the other
> option is an IP kvm switch but that seems like a clunky alternative.
>
> 2. a way to power cycle hardware in a worst case scenario.  something like
> an intelligent power strip that can be accessed via ssh or serial that
> allow individual control of outlets.
>
> i know these devices exist, i just don't have any firsthand experience with
> them to know what works well and what doesn't.  any suggestions or
> recommendations would be welcome.
>
> jason

Jason,

we have used a remote IP-KVM solution from ATEN:

http://www.aten-usa.com/?product&cat=583&Item=CN6000

We have had quite a bit of luck with this unit, except when connected to
belkin KVM switches.

It does work well with a java based remote clients, but requires a winders box
to configure initially.

There is a tie in there for remote power serial controlled power switches for
power cycling.

The biggest issue we have had was when we tried utilizing remote ip kvm of
x-windows. There is a lag in the mouse (which can be corrected, but is sort
of a pain). As we typically use command line this has not been an issue.

Looking on aten's site they also have the a new serial over the net solution
(8-port) (although I have not used this).

Ron