[TriLUG] Linux NTFS network shares

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Sep 6 09:27:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Michael Ham wrote:

> Anyway, I am wondering if there is some roundabout way that an NTFS
> partition, mounted in Linux, could be used with full write capabilities
> if it were made a network drive in Windows.

Let's see if I understand your question...

You have a filesystem on a windows machine and you want to
mount it on your linux box so that it appears as a regular
rw disk on your linux box (eg as if it were nfs mounted from
another machine).

If so, yes. You need your linux box to run samba and you
then smb mount the filesystem on the windows box. (You have
to setup sharing on the windows box).

According to a posting I got here a few weeks ago, samba has
three components, samba-client, samba-core and samba-server
(when I look at samba I just see one application - samba)
and it would appear that you only need samba-client and
samba-core.

I did a windows project this way using vi on the files on
the windows box from my linux box, with its multiple screens
and normal development tools. When I needed to test the
program, I would just reach over to the windows box and
click on the program. At first I tried the cygwin tools on
the windows box, and they helped a lot, but still having
only one screen on the windows box and having to use the
mouse all the time to get anywhere on the windows box drove
me nuts. The windows box didn't seem to mind having all the
files with unix carriage control.

Joe