[TriLUG] MAC-based web blocking

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Sep 6 15:37:21 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,
   Thought I'd toss this out to the list as I search around, to see if
anyone pipes up to say "Hey!  I do exactly that and I use ______."

I need to selectively block access to web sites based on MAC address of
the browsing computer.  It needs to be essentially transparent to
everyone except the computers of the users with whom we have issues
(fortunately $boss is not to the "$coworker has ruined it for everyone"
stage, and is just saying "block $coworker's access").  In other words,
I need "MAC addr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is only allowed to access this list
of sites."

Any suggestions?  Oh, it should run on Linux (of course) and be as
processor-un-intensive as possible (so it doesn't steal flops from the
gateway machine's other important tasks; namely VPN and VoIP).

Cheers,
~Brian