[TriLUG] WAY OT: Technical Book Resources

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 00:06:11 EDT 2006

Brian Weaver wrote:

> Does anyone know of any good online or local stores that carry a large
> selection of technical books. I'd even be willing to purchase the book
> in electronic format, but paper is preferred. Computer displays still
> haven't managed to overtake paper publishing if you ask me, both have
> their advantages and disadvantages.

I'll second the recommendation for AbeBooks. If you want something
hard to find, they're especially good.  I think Powells resells through
Amazon.com
so you should see their listings under the "Amazon Partners" (or
whatever it's called)
listings that come up with each item.

Locally, the B&N in Cary near the corner of Maynard and Walnut used to have
a massive selection of tech books, as did the Borders right down the
street (by Walnut & Buck Jones).
But Borders has cut back on their selection of computer books
substantially and I imagine that
B&N has as well (although I haven't been in there for a long time, so
I'm not sure).

You might also try posting the names of the books you're looking for to the
list here... somebody might have a copy they'd be willing to part with.

TTYL,

Phil