[TriLUG] autofs directory within a directory

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 12 11:24:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Matt Bidwell wrote:

> I've got what should be a very simple problem that I'm just not able to
> fix.  I'm using autofs to mount a folder to the root file directory.
> Instead what I'm getting is that folder inside of the same folder on
> the root directory.  So instead of having /<folder1>/content I
> get /<folder1>/<folder1>/content.  The /<folder1> is a regular directory,
> meaning I did a mkdir which it is to my understanding is the
> proper way.
> Pertinent file info below, sanitized for your pleasure.
> /etc/auto.master
> /<folder1> /etc/auto.<folder1> --timeout=600 -g
> /etc/auto.<folder1>
> <folder1>                 <host>.local:/export2/<folder1>

this is a little too abstract for me.

(I'm using autofs v10.0 )

you can't autofs mount directly at /

here's my auto.master for nfs

/nfs    /etc/auto.nfs

a line from my auto.nfs, where snow is an nfs server

snow	-fstype=nfs,soft   / snow:/ /usr snow:/usr

When autofs fires up on your client machine, it will create
a directory

/nfs

with size 0 (like /proc) (not size 1024)

I can then access the files in snow:/ and snow:/usr
by cd'ing (or ls'ing) /nfs/snow and /nfs/snow/usr

Of course you want snow to be in the root directory,
but autofs won't let you do this, so you go to
the top directory and do

ln -s nfs/snow snow

Note: once you have autofs started, you can't
list any files in / The process hangs, I don't
know why or what the cure is.

Joe