[TriLUG] why is it slow?

jason watts jsnthegod at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 16:53:07 EDT 2006

>On 9/11/06, jason watts <jsnthegod at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  i noticed that doing my ip address
>>71.71.xx.xx takes forever to load, but if i stay in my network, my
>>192.xx.xx.xx address, it loads instantly.  when my dad trys to load the
>>website, he has a delay of about 3 or 4 seconds to load one of the images.
>>
>>so, my thought to that is that it is getting confused trying to go out of
>>my
>>house and come back in?
>>other than this, i have no real idea as to what is up with this.
>
>Perhaps,  what kind of firewall/router are you using?  If it's on your
>Linux box what's the configuration.

i have a firewall on my windows box, and i think one on my linux box, if its
turned on, its all at default settings. the router im useing is an older
netgear one, was bought about 2 or 3 years ago at a cost of 30 bucks to give
you guys an idea

>Some appliance routers have problems with looping back the address of
>their external wan interface when it comes from the lan side.   Some
>just can't do it at all, I suppose others might do it but with
>performance problems.
>
>Since your dad is seeing performance problems, and I assume that he's
>outside your lan, I suspect that you've got a general throughput
>problem on the router.

my dad isnt really haveing the problem, its only my computers inside the
network,

is there any way to fix this other than buying a new router, or manually
typeing my ip address?