[TriLUG] Filtering yum mirrors

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Wed Sep 13 10:07:02 EDT 2006

One of the yum mirrors listed for updates-released for FC4 is
mirrors.playboy.com. Not only is it a bad idea to have my work computer
going to a anything.playboy.com URL, but it also usually errors out
(actually, maybe it never works). Any ideas on how I can ignore that
mirror in the list provided for Fedora? I have a few ideas, but maybe
there is something better.

1) Set the failovermethod in my yum.conf to be priority instead of
roundrobin. The playboy one is 10 down, so I can hope it will never be
reached. However, this seems to defeat the purpose of having a list of
mirrors to share the load.

2) Create a script to download the mirror list and grep out the playboy
server. Cron it for the middle of the night and get yum to use that file
instead of the official URL.

3) Set mirrors.playboy.com to be 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file. This will
cause it to "invisibly" error out and move on to the next mirror.

Any ideas, or comments on which method seems best?

Thanks,
Owen