[TriLUG] got a business you are trying to covert to OSS?

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Wed Sep 13 17:01:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 04:43:39PM -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> No, you are correct.  I am not for software piracy at all, nor am I for
> downloading copyrighted music for free, but these are my beefs.

The worst/most irritating case of this that I've come across was at a
large corporation (which will remain anon) I contracted at for a while.
They were using the "free" version of ssh from SSH Communications, which
is reserved for academic use, on multiple machines across the division I
was working with. I tried to explain to them that it wasn't actually
free, and if they wanted to use something they didn't have to pay for
they should be using OpenSSH. I don't think they got it. If they can't
get that, you have to wonder what else they're running.

My favourite moment was when I proved to them they could get 40 times
the throughput when piping files over a DMZ using OpenSSH instead. If
you could hear a pin drop over email, you would have heard it. :-)

Owen