[TriLUG] sasl problem

Jim Wright wrightjim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:30:52 EDT 2006

Sorry if you get this message twice...I've been having some email
problems, and I'm not sure the message went through, as I realized I
sent it from a different address than the one I'm subscribed with....

After a recent reboot of the platform server that my VPS resides on,
SMTP authentication stopped working.  I think I have tracked this down
to some problem with sasl.  I can run saslauthd in debug mode, and
then attempt to authenticate against it using testsaslauthd, but every
time, I get a connection refused message.  saslauthd is creating the
socket, and I am specifying the same path in testsaslauthd, but it
seems like something is blocking it.  This is getting way beyond my
understanding of linux inner workings, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd
appreciate it.  This is CentOS 3.  BTW, I also downloaded and compiled
the latest version of sasl, and used the saslauthd/testsaslauthd that
came with that, but with the same results.

--
Jim Wright
Wright Business Solutions
jim at wrightster.com