[TriLUG] file formats

Stephen Roller scroller at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 14 11:28:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 11:20 -0400, Brian Henning wrote:
> I have to recommend against FAT for video files.  Sure, FAT-32 claims to
> be able to address something like 2TB of storage, but I think you're
> taking chances by routinely storing upwards-of-two-GB files on any FAT
> partition.  For the record, FAT-32's maximum single-file size is (2^32)
> - 1 bytes, or a byte less than 4GB (see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463/EN-US/ ).

I agree wholeheartedly.  I made this mistake once, using a fat32 drive
for video editing.  While recording from my mini-DV camera to the
computer, I went over the maximum file size several times.  It took me
days to figure out why the video software was just giving up!  You
*definitely* need to use a more modern filesystem, like NTFS or ext3.

For the record, NTFS support on linux is very good and stable right now.
Read is perfect, and Write is decent.  Last I checked, the NTFS module
built in the kernel could write, but not make new files or new
directories.