[TriLUG] 86 bit question

Ron Yorgason ron at tritechs.net
Sat Sep 16 09:45:48 EDT 2006

jason watts wrote:
> on a second box of mine, i was planning on installing linux  on a second
> partion.
>
> this box is an 86 bit pc, was wondering if i downloaded centos 4 ... the
> 86 bit version, would i have to download then ALL 86 bit software for it?
>
> or is it capable of running programs written for the 32 bit?

In general, you'll want to stick to the x86_64 RPMs.  You can get them
off your CD, but I recommend just using yum to get them off the internet
as they have the latest and greatest bug fixes.

For instance, to see what PHP packages are available, type:

yum list php*        <-- any package name that starts with 'php'

Then you'll see something like:

Installed Packages
php.x86_64                            4.3.9-3.15             installed
php-ldap.x86_64                       4.3.9-3.15             installed
php-mysql.x86_64                      4.3.9-3.15             installed
Available Packages
php-devel.x86_64                      4.3.9-3.15             base
php-imap.x86_64                       4.3.9-3.15             base
php-ncurses.x86_64                    4.3.9-3.15             base

That will tell you what is available to download, or if there are new
versions out there.

To install one of them, type:

yum install php-devel

And that will get the php-devel package, along with any other dependencies.

As for 32bit support on 64bit machines, I'd stick with 64 bit where
possible.  But some linux binaries only come in 32bit (like acrobat
reader), or you want a 32bit browser so you can get more plugins.  Those
  work just fine on my x86_64 centos machine.  Some distros probably do
better than others at supporting 32bit on 64bit systems, I haven't
really tested the others much though.

--Ron