[TriLUG] setting up an SMTP no-op server

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Mon Sep 18 09:10:52 EDT 2006

We are getting ready to load-test a web application that, under the
target conditions, will be sending ~120 messages/sec.  For the purposes
of the test, we don't care what happens to those e-mails, but for the
sake of accuracy, we DO want the application to contact an SMTP server
and deliver the message.  We would like to set up a server that would
accept all incoming messages and discard them.

Any suggestions how I might go about this?  The only configuration
parameter we have available on the web-application is the STMP server
hostname (and maybe port#).  I was thinking that with the modular nature
of Postfix, we might be able to configure it to discard all messages.
Or maybe deliver all incoming messages to the same mailbox?  Otherwise,
we'd need to configure about 30,000 mailboxes for this test  :(

TIA,

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services