[TriLUG] Squirrelmail and Dovecot problem

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 10:03:54 EDT 2006

On 9/19/06, Glenn Hennessee <Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> It just gets stranger and stranger. Postfix did and does have
> mailbox_size_limit=0 so there is no maximum mailbox size. It did appear
> last night when I was checking that it might have something to do with
> the size of the mail spool because squirrelmail would work on accounts
> with no or small amounts of email but not on accounts with large email
> files. However, this morning I put that theory to the test by using a
> test account and sending messages with attachments. Right now the
> account has a spool file of 40 MB, more than two who are having
> problems, and squirrelmail works fine. Now that 40 MB is from 6 email
> and not 2000 emails so I don't know if that's an issue or not.

40MB wouldn't be a problem.  I think the postfix default is something
like 2GB.  Number of e-mails within the file shouldn't be a problem.

> One other thing, when moving from by dead RHEL3 system (the drive died
> but I was able to recover the unread mail (hang the dead drive outside
> the case and turn a big fan on high to keep it cool) after the ubuntu
> system was running. I merged the two sets of spool files with mmv
> (http://debaday.livejournal.com/33924.html) to append the new mail spool
> to the old mail spool. I don't see this as a problem but I did do it for
> those who had unread mail which was most. Most of my users are pop and
> so don't have large spool files as a rule.

Have you tried just pointing a local version of pine directly
at the mail spool file?   It should use the exact same library
routines (c-client) to read the mail spool but might actually
have more informative error messages (well, one can hope,
anyway).

Cheers,
Tanner

--