[TriLUG] OT - gigabit switches

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Thu Sep 21 10:33:57 EDT 2006

<snip>
One other point that I wanted to verify is that one of the jobs of the
switch is to keep traffic away from parts of the network that are not
involved with the sender or receiver.  For example - the switch in our
test lab is hooked to the switch for the rest of the office, to which
the rest of our desktops are connected.  So when we are running tests in
the lab, none of that traffic bleeds into the rest of the network
affecting performance there.  My understanding (and anecdotal evidence)
is that this is true...is it?
</snip>

...that's more or so the purpose of a VLAN. In a flat network, you have
what I call "packet grenades" being thrown around....