[TriLUG] sendmail jujitsu with virtual hosts

Scott Lundgren trilug at capitalfellow.com
Thu Sep 21 17:47:28 EDT 2006

hi all,

I'm having to touch sendmail configuration files for the first time
in a long while, and while I'm at it I want to know if something is
possible.

The server a.domain.tld has apache 2.2 and sendmail (no idea what
version) on solaris 9.
The server hosts virtually the websites of other subdomains of
domain.tld (b.domain.tld, www.c.domain.tld, and www.d.domain.tld).
The subdomains are properly set up in DNS to be aliased to a.domain.tld.
The server does not  receive mail
The server does send email out via apache for the websites hosted a
b.domain.tld and www.c.domain.tld.
Currently when sending out a message on behalf of the hosts named
above it comes from apache at a.domain.tld

What I would like to do is when apache sends out email it is sent
from donotreply at b.domian.tld and donotreply at www.c.domain.tld
respectively. From rereading docs it seems by setting Cw in
sendmail.cf to a.domain.tld and creating a virtusers table mapping
the local user apache to donotreplay at each host this should be
possible.

Is this not possible?
Is my approach correct or is there a simpler/better way to achieve
this ?
What I'm lost as is how will sendmail know which virtuser to send the
message out as ?

thanks,
SL

ps: no I can not install a different mail server or OS no matter how
much either/both pain me.