[TriLUG] setting up cups

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 21 20:46:09 EDT 2006

I have installed cups feeding two network printers (HP
Laser Jet with network card and HP Inkjet parallel on a
DirectJet box - neither of these are postscript).

I can print the test page on both printers from the cups
admin page. I can also print from firefox using ^P (where
the two printers appear in the menu - I have no idea how
they got there).

What I can't do is

lp -d printer_name /etc/hosts

where printer_name is the printer name in the
cups admin/printer pages.

The cups admin page shows the job is

"pending since " (date/time)

and no lights blink on the printer etc.

Google and google groups aren't helpful here.

I have foomatic-rip and foomatic-gswrapper installed
and a ppd file for each printer. On the admin page, the
inkjet is a Gimp-print, while the other is RAW.
>From the LinuxPrinting.org CUPS QuickStart page I cannot
figure out if I need to install any other foomatic files.

It's not clear to me how cups works. cupsd appears to be a
webserver that allows you to write config files. I had
expected that cups would be a wrapper around my regular lpd
spooler. However there was no lpd installed with cups and
nothing listening on port 515 when cupsd is running.
Presumably all communication is via the cupsd port 631.

What I would like is to have this machine be a spooler and
for the other machines on the network to print to the
spooler rather than directly to the printer.

On these other print client machines do I need cups
installed too? With the printers shared on the server cups
machine, I set up cups on a second machine and reproduced
the above tests with the network printers, and then looked
to see if I could find the same printers shared from the
cups server machine - I didn't really know what to do and
didn't find any new printers. Since the server machine
presumably would accept connections from cups client using
ipp, I told the client to print to ipp://machine_name/ipp
and then ipp://machine_name/ipp/cups_printer_name without
success.

Rather than going on further, can anyone straighten me out
with these pieces?

Thanks Joe