[TriLUG] sendmail jujitsu with virtual hosts

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Sep 22 09:34:20 EDT 2006

> Alternately, you could get even more amusing, and run apache as the
> user "donotreply".  :)  This is as easy as changing the username in
> /etc/passwd and maybe an init script or two.  :)

I tried this on a Debian box last year and it blew up in my face.
I wanted apache to run as a user named "apache".  Go figure.

There are places in the apache source (or perhaps this was one of
the Debian mods) that specifically requires the user to be "www-data".
I forget the details... it might have dealt with running CGI scripts.
Anyway, I decided that the easiest solution was to leave the user
name as-is.

But then again, that might be what Aaron considers to be "amusing".

Alan

.