[TriLUG] setting up cups

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Sep 23 08:45:33 EDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Rick DeNatale wrote:

thanks for the reply.

> I'm not sure which distro you are running.

It's mostly my own stuff. I built from source files

openslp-1.2.1/
jbig2dec-0.6/
espgs-8.15.2/
cups-1.2.3/

there is no cupsys-client. There was a /etc/cups/client.conf
file in my previous installation (from 2004, that I never
got to work well enough that I ever used), but no
client.conf from this current install. There is a
man5/client.conf in the current build. Will go find out why
a client.conf wasn't produced as well.

(I would have hoped that the cups project would have picked
a better name than client.conf. At least the dhcpd people
picked a name that wouldn't collide with other packages.)

> I don't know what port the cups version of lp uses to talk to cupsd

should be easy enough to figure out with strace

> You need the cups client on the client machines, and you need to set
> the ServerName directive in the client config file
> (/etc/cups/client.conf) to point to the server.

ah. I was expecting the admin web tool to fiddle the files
for me. I hadn't started editing these files directly.

> You also need to set up the cups configuration on the server to allow
> access from machines on the network.  It uses directives much like
> those in Apache.

OK. I had fiddled with these and checked for success by
pointing the webrowser on the client machine to
http://server:631 to see if I could remotely administer the
server, but apart from the home page, was locked out of all
the other pages.

> Alternatively you can run a server with or without any locally
> attached printers in the client, and tell it to browse for other
> servers on the network, and it should pick up their printers.

Haven't had lot of success with discovery of network
printers (only found one of two). man client.conf doesn't
tell me how to get the client to browse. Anywhere else I
should look?

Thanks Joe