[TriLUG] setting up cups

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Sep 23 15:08:35 EDT 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Daniel Sterling wrote:

> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>> It's mostly my own stuff. I built from source files
> So you're doing Linux From Scratch? or are you using an underlying distro?

There was an underlying distro about 10yrs back, SLS, but I
don't think it matters much anymore what it was. I had a bit
of help from Slackware along the way.

> Additionally, debian package maintainers often include instructions on how to
> get the package "up and running", and/or why it does/doesn't work "out of the
> box". These hints, as well as the package's documentation, are often quite
> useful.

OK will go look. I haven't had a chance to try out your
previous suggestions yet. I do download stuff from Debian
occassionally - sometimes it's the only place you can get
it.

> I'll try to address some of your other questions as best I can from memory:
> The cups http interface does alter the configuration files, but it's ability
> is fairly limited,  I believe.

Good to know. I had assumed it did the whole megillah.

> As far as cups's network printer discovery, I believe a server that has a
> printer that it is configured to share will send broadcast packets to the
> network, which clients can be configured to listen for. cupsd.conf(5) has a
> list of directives that deal with browsing.

will go look.

> That man page also says to refer
> to the on-line documentation for details.

I've followed a few links like this. Somewhere trying to
find printers shared from other machines, I was told to go
look up the page on setting up network printers. This turned
out to be how to assign an IP to a network printer,
something I'd already handled.

Thanks Joe