[TriLUG] iscsi setup

heath petty hpetty1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 20:41:44 EDT 2006

So far my experience has been using the iSCSI Enterprise Target:
http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/ as the target, and using the iSCSI
initiator found in Fedora. The iSCSI enterprise target is probably the
cheapest target to use for testing since it runs on any Linux system,
and it would be easy to backup. It probably isn't as fast as dedicated
targets (such as a netapp filer), and unless you configure RAID on the
Linux system you won't have any redundancy. For best perfomance you
should have a dedicated network for iSCSI traffic. I know our IT
department would not be happy if we ran it over the company network. I
haven't worked with any offload cards or HBAs, but the more
specialized hardware you use the faster the transfer rates will be.
I'm sorry I don't have any concrete numbers, but I'm sure you can find
some information from searching google.

-Heath