[TriLUG] The sys@ list and a Sysadmin Committee

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Sep 28 12:31:58 EDT 2006

Matt Frye wrote:

> TriLUG servers.  I did not send out prior notice because I was
> formulating a more informative email and quite frankly because I've
> been quite busy.  If you were unsubscribed and feel personally
> offended, please accept my apology, but it was nothing personal.
>
> When the current Steering Committee first met in May, we agreed that
> it was within my purview to establish an organized sysadmin committee.
> This action is consistent with that desire.
>
> If you were unsubscribed from that list, are currently a TriLUG member
> (consistent with our Articles of Incorporation), and want to be on the
> sysadmin committee, please contact me so we can discuss it.
>
> Matt Frye

admin privileges removed from the servers), I'd like a bit more
explanation into what your goals were?  There has been discussion in the
past on the trilug list soliciting assistance from those who wanted to
help out with administration of the cluster, and to solicit the
assistance of those of us who have had prior experience that were
interested in advising and participating.  I have always expressed an
interest in continuing to assist with the administration of the cluster,
if nothing else to help ensure that the things I helped build and
maintain for a time don't fall apart at the seams.  It's also in my
direct interest as I like the trilug mailing list, and want it to remain
stable and continue delivering my daily dose of humor and trivia.

Can you please provide more detail, including who you removed from the
sys@ list, why they were removed or how you thought this furthered the
goal of administering the TriLUG cluster?

Also, as an aside, any action you take which affects another person, by
it's very definition, can be considered personal.  I wouldn't go so far
to say I was offended by your actions, but they sure seem unjustified,
unreasonable, and from a quick conversation with a few other SC members,
unsupported.  I would like to think common courtesy among friends would
result in, at the very least, some prior notification before using
administrative powers to affect other's mailing list subscriptions and
access rights.

Aaron S. Joyner