[TriLUG] OSS Backup Software - Take 2

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Oct 2 08:35:51 EDT 2006

I'd like to start my discussion/questions over from a few weeks ago. I'm
looking into OSS alternatives for a non-profit org that needs to do
heterogeneous backups, primarily Windows XP and Linux. The organization
relies on volunteers like myself to help with it's day-to-day IT needs
as it cannot afford a full-time IT person.

I've looked at Bacula and it appears to have what I'm looking with one
major flaw. It's Windows client has the restore function and seems to
allow, at least in it's "stock" installation, a Windows client to
restore *ANY* client's data (Windows or Linux client). This is
unacceptable. If there is a way to lock down a Windows client to *ONLY*
be able to see/restore it's own data, then Bacula is the product for us.

Here are the needs:
- Windows and Linux support
- Backup to NAS and tape
- Encrypted backup
- No Windows shares needed to allow backup to run
- Ability to backup "in use" files

Preferences (would like but not a deal killer if not avail):
- Windows clients can restore their own files and not other's without
Admin intervention
- Delta block backup so remote users can backup laptops in chunks
- Remote Administration (web based vs. "shell in and run")
- Pay for on demand support (not just community support)
- Bare Metal backup/restores

TIA,
Roy