[TriLUG] Cell Phones w/i Linux question

Joseph E. ODoherty joey at odoherty.net
Thu Oct 5 16:00:01 EDT 2006

A palm-based Treo may be what you are looking for. Some points below:

> 1) I absolutely require that my cell phone be compatible with Linux (in
> particular, I use Ubuntu on my laptop and OpenZaurus on an old Zaurus
> 5500), and my dream is to simply be able to both download and upload my
> phonebook across all three phones.

Palms have excellent sync support in linux. I've synced my Treo in linux
via a USB cable.. it maybe be possible to get it working via Bluetooth too
(I don't have bluetooth hardware on a linux box.)

> 2) I'd love to be able to use my mobile phone as a modem as well with my
> laptop. This would probably involve some trickery. I'd like a non-insane
> priced data plan. A friend of mine on Sprint here said that some Sprint
> phones like his seem to have unlimited data access "for free."

Treos support dialup networking via bluetooth. I've gotten this working on
Windows and Mac and I don't see why, in principle, this would not also work
in linux. The Treo 700p (only CDMA at the moment) model has EVDO and I've
heard it is great for DUN. The Treo 650 (GSM model) supports GPRS & EDGE
and in my experience feels like a 56K modem.

> 3) I'd prefer a GSM-capable phone since I often travel to Europe, and
> would otherwise have to buy a new phone in Europe. But that might be
> worth it.

You can buy unlocked GSM Treos (just the 650 at the moment, I think) that
are supposed to work worldwide. They're, of course, more expensive. This
will also limit your providers in the US to basically Cingular and TMobile.

> 4) I'd prefer one-year contract to two-year contract plans, and since I
> work at Duke now I have substantial discounts on Verizon and Alltel. My
> parents use Cingular and my friends tend to use Sprint. I'm also trying
> to get the best deal - I'm not making as much money as I'd like :)

I don't have a comment other than that Verizon and Alltel are not GSM. ;)

best,
/joeyo

--
pub  1024D/B663781B 2001-11-13 Joey O'Doherty <joey(at)odoherty(dot)net>
     Key fingerprint = F76B 9ACA 4197 C707 6E4D  2B78 E430 101A B663 781B

     The sad fact is that "national security" has become the root password
     to the Constitution. -- Phil Karn