[TriLUG] The thin line...

Len Boyle Len.Boyle at sas.com
Mon Oct 9 16:10:34 EDT 2006

Ah, but tcpip was a little different, when it came along. At least with the IBM supported release.

There was special industrial rack mounted AT machine with a channel card (big heavy twin multi circuit cables) and I believe up to two lan cards. The details are a little bit fuzzy as it was a long time ago.
But the box booted up msdos then started a multi tasking program that would could emulate an ibm i/o controller using the channel card. Later on IBM would redo the box using os/2 and newer hardware.
It would receive blocks of data from the host. It would have to deblock the data and extract out the data to be send on the lan (ethernet, fddi,...) and send it out. Or receive data on the lan card. Pack several lan packets together into one block to be send up the channel to the tcp/ip program.
They had set up special hardware to transfer data between the cards without the need to use the pc bus to speed things up.

By the way, this box came out of the labs in Yorktown New York and not from the standard product support folks.

Later using the os/2 version of the box, they moved some of the tcp/ip kernel functions down to this special pc. Now all these things are done.

IBM now supplies this function using special cards that are installed in the mainframe box itself.
For a while cicso offered this function in cards that installed in a router. I am not sure if they stopped doing that when IBM started selling the new cards that are installed in the mailframe.

len