[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 22:53:31 EDT 2006

To get your drive closed, power down the machine, unplug power to the
drive and you should be able to gently push it all the way closed.
Maybe by being unplugged it may also reset it's dumb bit which keeps
re-opening.  Worth a shot I suppose.  It's just the same as when the
machine is powered off and you use a straightened paperclip to pop
open the drawer, then gently pull it open to retrieve a CD you forget.
 The gentle push/pull method has been fine to every drive I've ever
encountered.

FWIW, I have had a Sony DVD R/RW drive for over 2 years now and it's
fine.  I have no negativity towards Sony.  I still believe their
non-consumer grade products are manufactured very well.  Too bad I
like my Samsung 50" DLP HDTV better than anything Sony had out at the
time that I could afford!!  :)  Samsung++

laters,
David