[TriLUG] cdrom: does pushing the tray in damage them?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 10 15:12:27 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, John Mitchell wrote:

> On 10/9/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Is this just one of those things, or does pushing the tray
> > in damage the cdrom?
> >
> > Thanks Joe
>
>    From the  Dell site:
> "Mount the disc on the motor spindle. Load the disc by lightly pushing
> in disc tray."
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p53101/en/using.htm
>
> and,
>
> "This is the tray for the disc. Place the disc on the ejected disc
> tray, then lightly push the tray and the disc will be mounted."
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p53101/en/setup.htm

John,

The above description is for a "slimline" drive such as those used in
laptops and in some servers.  This type of drive doesn't have a tray motor
at all; instead it's spring loaded.  When you push in the disk tray you
are pushing against a spring; when the tray inserts fully it engages a
catch.  When you push the eject button, the eletronic control releases
this catch mechanism and the spring ejects the drive (usually only an inch
or two).

So by introducing the slimline drives which don't have tray motors, we've
only muddled the waters further. :-)

--Jeremy