[TriLUG] OpenVPN for Home

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 13:42:00 EDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Eric H Christensen <kf4otn at ericsatcom.net> wrote:
> Stan,
> Just from my point of view a VPN will link ALL of your ports to the
> connected network so it will be just like being at your home network.
> Using SSH/PuTTY will only do a select number of ports and you have to
> setup more (IMHO).

That's not entirely true.  Most current versions of SSH will act
as a SOCKS proxy.  You can set your browser (or any other
program that will use a SOCKS proxy) to the proxy port on localhost
and ssh will tunnel it to the other side of the connection and
output it from there.  This can is an excellent way of tunneling
through a firewall.

Cheers,
Tanner
--