[TriLUG] Samba Issue

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Oct 12 10:19:06 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 07:28:16PM -0700, Chris Bullock wrote:

> --- Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
>
> > I seem to have issues adding a Windows XP Pro machine to a Samba 3
> > domain.
> >
> > I added the machine's new name to the /etc/passwd ( useradd ) and
> > smbpasswd ( -m -a ) files on the server.
> Why must you add it via command line?

Because that's how I have always done it?  The documentation that I have
seems to say that I need to have the machine name, "example$", in the
Samba machine's passwd and smbpasswd files before a new machine can join
a Samba domain.

> > On the Identification window, I clicked on "Change" and entered the new
> > machine name and clicked the Domain radio button, entering the domain
> > name ( Windows Domain, not the proper one ).

As I suspected later, the machine name needed to be changed before I
tried to join the domain.

However, now I have two different issues. ( I think. )

When I try to log in with a valid Domain user on the XP machine, using
UserName, Password, and Domain entries on the login screen, I get an
"RPC Error".  I am also seeing an entry in the Samba log, commenting
about an "unknown auth type 1", which seems to be related to RPC.

Secondly, this machine does not show the "Network Neighborhood" icon. I
can log in as a Local User and then, through the item on the Explorer
list for Networks, get to the Samba server and then log in correctly to
that server, using a valid user id and password.  Everything appears
correct at that point -- I can navigate through the server as expected.

Sorry to be sounding so clueless, this foreign country is frustrating.

> > I then clicked OK and was prompted for "A user allowed to join this
> > domain."  I had already used smbpasswd to set a "fake" password for
> > root, so I entered "root" and that fake password on the XP machine and
> > clicked OK.
> Is root a smb user?

Yes, for this purpose.

> I have machine names up to 13 characters on my smb domain.

Thank you.

I tried setting up another machine as a Samba server, with a different
"workgroup" ( domain ) name, and probably ran into the issue that you
mentioned later, duplicate, conflicting WINS servers.  The machine is
saying that it can't find a domain server for that domain.  The help
documentation talks about DNS and SRV records, but I have never needed
to use those before.