[TriLUG] gaim/ircd help

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Oct 12 20:59:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Owen Berry wrote:

> Something strange going on there ...

thanks. I had taken the first option, IRQ (not IRC)  which I
assumed was the one I wanted (gee I was only out by one
char). In figuring out what to programs to download, I'd
read about court cases with AOL which the gaim people didn't
want to talk about. When I saw what I thought was IRC not
being allowed to connect to anyone, I'd assumed that gaim
wasn't allowed to have IRC except with a fixed server.

Now that this is fixed, I can now talk to myself using IRC.
The server (ircd-hybrid) I'm using doesn't have jabber (I
just assumed it did since it was one of the common
protocols) so I couldn't talk to myself with jabber last
night.

> both 1.5.0 clients I tried (FC4 and Gentoo) had server
> options for IRC. Which makes sense since IRC is not under
> centralized control, unlike most of the other protocols.

thanks for the clue

Joe