[TriLUG] Sendmail is spamming

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Oct 13 10:23:09 EDT 2006

I'm working with a local non-profit that has a spam problem. They have a mailing
list and some of the spam we get in the majordomo list is being sent to. The
majordomo program parses this email looking for valid maillist commands, then it
sends a response to the originating email address.

Since the original email address is bogus, the email bounces. Since the email
bounces, the server tries to resend it later. This continues for days!!!!!!!
until the sendmail program figures out this is never going to work, and
terminates the email.

Question:
Does anyone know how to go into the sendmail outbound queue, and surgically
delete this type of junk?

The other alternative is to configure Sendmail to not accept any email for
majordomo.  This would require the office staff to spend some time managing
add/delete requests to maillist and is not a good alternative.

I'm not a mail admin but I am trying to help them figure this out. Any

TIA,
Roy