[TriLUG] mythtv, QAM 256, & Time Warner Cable...

Keith Johnson kjohnson at northcarolina.edu
Tue Oct 17 12:24:47 EDT 2006

At 10:09 AM 10/17/2006, you wrote:
>On 10/16/06, Keith Johnson <kjohnson at northcarolina.edu> wrote:
>>As an aside -- I run my 8300HD with an external sata drive that
>>doubled my store time. Just be sure to use a sata2 cable.
>
>Interesting.  Did you just hook it up and go or was there any setup?
>Did you have programs on the internal drive before hooking up the new
>one and were they fine after the process?
>
>Cheers,
>Tanner

I just hooked it up, the system prompted me to format Y/N, and off I
went. Yes, I had programs on the original drive and they were
unaffected, at least in my case. In my research looking for pitfalls
on expanding the drive capacity, I ran into quite a few posts
claiming all kinds of problems when attaching drives -- so, YMMV. I
haven't tried to verify this yet but it's my understanding that if I
were to unplug the drive and then re-attach it the system would again
prompt to format the drive -- apparently there is no way around this
little quirk.
Just to be safe I burned all my recorded wood turning shows to DVD
before I attached the drive.

kj