[TriLUG] vmware physiacal disk importing

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Oct 19 10:16:36 EDT 2006

Has anyone had success with this with Linux installations?  We have
3 CentOS machines (3.x and 4.x) that are prime candidates to be virtualized.
I had assumed that this was either (a) impossible or (b) expensive (vmware
sells some rather expensive tools to help).  If it could be done at a
reasonable cost, we'd do it today.

Chris

Alan Porter wrote:

>> What is the simplest way to import a physical disk into a vmware
>> virtual machine?  I don't see any software programs out there that
>> does this easily.
>

> Boot your VM with Knoppix and 'dd' the disk image over the network.
>
> I have done this successfully to copy a Win98 partition from a laptop to
> a vmware virtual machine.  In that case, I actually ran Knoppix both on
> the Win98 laptop and the unformatted vmware VM.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services