[TriLUG] Techno-Politics Talk on Trilug List (Was: FBI wants, blah, blah)

Mike A. Salim msalim at adti.us
Thu Oct 19 12:21:45 EDT 2006

Hi,

If I may chime in here ... granted there is a political aspect to this
debate, however there is a *strong* technical aspect as well, which is
well suited for this group, IMHO, at least to talk about.

The technical aspect is:  assuming that we ISPs are suddenly required to
never delete any logs, exactly how are we supposed to accumulate, store
and archive terabytes and terabytes of logs that a typical ISP might
generate in a month across tens or hundreds of servers, economically and
securely? HIPAA and privacy requirements in addition to this new
requirement would make life a challenge and require some innovative
technical solutions!

And this is apart from the political issue of who will pay for that
storage and technology which we do not need to address here.

Sincerely
Mike Salim