[TriLUG] Ubuntu: whats all the fuss?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Oct 20 10:11:47 EDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:44:56 -0400 Brian Daniels
<bitmage at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 12:14:21AM -0400, Marc  wrote:
> > about Fedora, lots of weird quirky stuff, and I am not happy with
> > RH as a company these days, not 'feeling the love' (LOL), and not
> > willing to have them 'track' me in FC6.
>
> What's the tracking issue about?

Marc's email was long on opinion and basically devoid of any concrete
details.

I _assume_ what he's referring to were discussions within one of the
Fedora email lists where some folks proposed that the default start-up
web page be an actual server (instead of the current "file://..." URL)
so that hits from unique IP addresses could be counted.  The idea would
be to get a rough (*extremely* rough!) idea of how many machines were
actually having Fedora installed on them, etc.

I don't know whether the idea has become anything more than a thread on
an email list.

Ed

ps - <kidding type="good-natured">
     Nonetheless, Marc should keep his aluminum-foil hat
     securely in place.
     </kidding>

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/