[TriLUG] DNS Joke

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Oct 26 13:52:30 EDT 2006

jason at monsterjam.org wrote:

>at least they wont get any spam!
>
>Jason
>
>On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:29:07PM -0400, Brian McCullough
>wrote:
>

>>Just ran across a hilarious DNS entry.
>>

>>~/$ host mail.qualitychrome.com
>>mail.qualitychrome.com has address 10.0.0.2
>>--

Rather than a joke it's just an unfortunate state of affairs.  It's bad
for anyone on the internet proper who tries to send them email, because
it'll get stuck in their mail queue for as long as 5 days before giving
up, and it's bad for them because they may not even realize it (after
all, internal email works, right?).  On the flip side, they may not
intend to have that information published on the internet.  Ie. that
they probably have a not-so-well-configured server at an internal
address 10.0.0.2, which if their dns setup is any indication, you might
be able to slide through their NAT firewall and get access to
surreptitiously.  The right thing to do in these situations, is to copy
the contact in the SOA record:
[asjoyner at orion asjoyner]$ dig +short qualitychrome.com soa
ns1.diney.com. hostmaster.diney.com. 2006051015 3600 600 1209600 3600

Since it's a different domain, I'll also point this out:
[asjoyner at orion asjoyner]$ dig +short diney.com mx
10 mail.diney.com.
[asjoyner at orion asjoyner]$ dig +short diney.com soa
ns1.diney.com. root.diney.com. 2004080428 3600 600 1209600 3600

For good measure, I've copied root and hostmaster at diney dot com on
this message, in hopes that it might reach a human.  It's entirely
possible that it won't, but it's the responsible thing to do.  As a side
note, it would be ideal to have done it before commenting on it in a
public forum, to give them some lead time to respond before the bad
guys, but it's a little late for that.  There's probably no harm done.

Aaron S. Joyner